Week 25: The Pelvis
This week I will move freely from the point where my upper and lower body meet, where movement in the spine is initiated and where my precious growing baby is cradled in the pelvis.
… adapted from The Yoga of Pregnancy book by Mel Campbell …
Asana for the Week
Standing Pelvic Rotations
For this pose I will need a yoga mat. This pose is suitable for all stages of my pregnancy.
- Standing on my yoga mat with my feet slightly wider than hip distance apart, I hold you in my hands
- Softly I bend my knees
- I begin tilting my pelvis backwards and forwards, using the same movement as in t he Cat sequence described in week 16. I arch my spine and open my chest (a) when I inhale and scoop my tailbone under, rounding my back, as I exhale (b).
- I practice this a few times
- Then I begin to gently sway my hips from side to side. Keeping my spine straight, I take both my hips over to the right and then over to the left, repeating this several times on each side.
- Combining all four movements, I move like a belly dancer, circulating my hips and rotating my pelvis in a clockwise direction
- I then repeat it all in an anticlockwise direction.
- I play some music and together we dance
- I call it my birthing dance.
- Mindfully I repeat this week’s affirmation:
My pelvis is designed to fit the shape of my baby’s head