This breathing exercise when pregnant is a lovely way of connecting with your baby and is suitable for all stages of your pregnancy.
Adapted from Weeks 1-6 Our New Beginnings of The Yoga of Pregnancy by Mel Campbell (Findhorn Press 2012)
For this practice I will need a yoga mat and a small cushion.
- I find a comfortable cross-legged sitting position and bring my hands around my belly
- I close my eyes and take a moment to welcome you into my life. I find the natural rhythm of my breath and ride on the waves of my breath coming and going
- Deepening my inhalations and lengthening my exhalations, I direct my breath down to you
- I notice my belly rising when I inhale and falling when I exhale
- This is abdominal breathing
- I keep my breaths smooth and steady, being mindful of your presence
- Staying connected with my breath for several minutes, I mindfully repeat this week’s affirmation:
I am fully prepared and committed to welcome this new life as my growing baby begins to develop inside me